Tuesday, June 12, 2012

National Life Criterium


The National Life Criterium, a local race which I hold close since it was my first race ever, sent riders for a... well.. a ride. 1.2km loop with a giant hill in the middle of it, sent competitors in circles for the better part of 50 minutes in the A field on a hot and very sunny Sunday morning.  Going early from the gun off of the neutral lap, I was able to stay away with one other teammate Alberto, for 5ish laps, just enough to win a sprint prime. 

Once we were finally caught, I was able to sit in for a brief period in an attempt to get my lungs working again.  Growing up with asthma, my lungs has constricted at this point and were not looking to get any better.  Once an attack was thrown in, I was forced out for my free lap to let my lungs recover as much as they could before jumping back into the race.  Once back in, the leader and eventual winner, Bobby had already lapped the field once, and was going around for the second time.  A feat of strength, or strength of feet.
When push came to shove, I ended up finishing in 6th place.  Next time better planning and and proper fueling before the race are going to be important.  With the difference in temperature and physical exertion in said temperatures, the body is certainly doing more than it is used to.  With a history of asthma, it is going to be key to success to avoid triggering it however possible.

Arc hard, ride fast, go plaid!

1 comment: